US teenage girl struck by lightning while in bedroom at home – National

A Pennsylvania teenager was struck by lightning inside her family’s home on Monday night after a lock somehow entered the house.

Giana Scaramuzzo, 15, was hanging out in her bedroom when she saw lightning in her mirror.

“All of a sudden I hear the loud sound of thunder, and I see lightning, and I see it reflected in my mirror, and all of a sudden I feel like a shock in my little finger, then it goes up my body and out through my leg,” Scaramuzzo told Action News 4.

Read more:

Johnny Depp vs. Amber Heard – Actor’s ex says he was “controlling”, “jealous”

It is unclear whether the bolt entered the roof or came from a window or electrical outlet.

The story continues under the ad

Scaramuzzo told ABC News that paramedics took his blood pressure, which was normal, and gave him an electrocardiogram, which was sent to a local hospital.

“I’m a little scared, still in shock. It’s kind of like I was shaking and uneasy too,” Scaramuzzo said, adding that she was otherwise feeling fine.

Circleville Fire Department Captain Keith Gray told ABC News that six homes, including the one in Scaramuzzo, were struck by lightning Monday night.

Firefighters shared photos of the aftermath of the storm on Facebook, including photos of one of the houses where lightning tore a large hole in the roof.

“There is approximately a 12×12 hole in the house,” Fire Chief Craig Couchenour told Action News. “It blew out pretty much all of the drywall on one side of the living room.”

The woman who lives in the house, Lori Beckowitz, told the Tribune-Review that no one was hurt but the strike sounded like “a bomb went off near your ear”.

Read more:

Caught on video – Nursing mother in British Columbia saves pet goose from eagle attack

Authorities say no one else was hurt during the storm.

The story continues under the ad

The National Weather Service in the United States told People magazine that about 10% of people struck by lightning are killed. The remaining 90% can sustain varying degrees of injury.

In the United States, an average of 57 people are killed by lightning each year. In Canada, approximately 10 people die as a result of a lightning strike.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Leave a Reply