Associate Dean of Student Affairs, CMHS Student Affairs
Purpose of the position
The Associate Dean, Student Affairs, implements activities that:
- complement and enhance the academic, clinical, community service and research programs of the College of Medicine and Health Sciences,
- enriches the experience and development of medical students, and
- Fosters a professional, supportive and inclusive learning environment.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Contribute to the formulation of College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) strategy, as well as annual academic plans.
- Contribute to the development of CMHS policies and procedures, adhering to overall University goals, ensuring alignment with applicable regulations and standards, and promoting best practices and educational excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the department’s budgets; monitor budget performance and report in a timely manner to ensure discrepancies are addressed promptly.
- Contribute to the management and supervision of department staff.
The main responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Plans and implements the CMHS strategic plan.
- Supports both degree and non-degree CMHS programs.
- Participates in CMHS medical education program accreditation processes by relevant accrediting authorities.
- Prepares reports for federal and local government agencies, accrediting bodies, and other external agencies.
- Reviews, updates, and enforces the policies and procedures contained in the CMHS Medical Student Handbook.
- In conjunction with the Khalifa University Office of Student Services, oversees all strategic and operational aspects of student administration and support programs, including but not limited to:
- Student Affairs Operations
- student trip
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Admissions and Recruitment
- Ratings and Records
- SSMC Collaborative Programs
- Financial aid
- Student Support Services
- Health and wellness programs
- Medical Student Counseling and Wellness Center
- Community engagement activities
- Student organizations and interest groups
- Career and career guidance
- learning service
- International study
- Alumni Relations
- Ensures that all students meet requirements for enrollment in degree and non-degree programs and participation in clinical activities as outlined in affiliation agreements with CMHS clinical partners. These requirements include, but are not limited to: – criminal background check, medical examination, vaccinations and verification of good reputation.
- Oversees and/or coordinates CMHS events, including but not limited to: Freshman Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, Game Ceremony and Reception, CMHS Research Symposium , the awards ceremony, the launch of the University Health Center and the convening of the CMHS.
- Maintains the memories of the Office of Student Affairs, including the annual publication of the CMHS Yearbook.
- In conjunction with Khalifa University Student Services Office, provide oversight of CMHS Committees including: Admissions Committee, Scholarships Committee, Student Services Committee, Housing Committee and housing.
- Coordinates communications with the medical student body regarding medical student programs, services, activities and events.
- Evaluates the effectiveness and impact of all programs and services offered by the Office of Student Services at Khalifa University.
- Ensure compliance with Khalifa University’s information security policies and procedures and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of duties and responsibilities as required.
- Works collaboratively with other CMHS Associate Deans to ensure compliance with relevant college policies and strategic plans.
- Sit on and/or represent the dean on university and college committees, as appropriate.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Dean.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as needed to enhance internal team capabilities and ensure achievement of established goals and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses according to predetermined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness and monitor their results.
- Perform performance reviews for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions according to applied practices.
- Hold periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Tracking employee administrative matters such as vacation, leave and other administrative and related matters.
Qualifications and experience
- Medical degree (MD, MBBS or equivalent) required
- Has completed at least eight years of relevant academic experience, including at least two years in an administrative academic role.
- Demonstrable achievement in teaching, research, and service at a level commensurate with that of an associate or full professor in a discipline of biomedical science or biomedical engineering.
- Obtaining a degree in management will be considered favorably.
- Associate or Full Professor with a minimum of 8 years of responsible education experience leading and successfully managing educational programs at a university, including 5 years of teaching experience at the Associate or Full Professor level in the Higher Education.
- Strong record in teaching and research reflecting academic excellence.
- Proven management experience, expertise required to work collaboratively with faculty members and medical professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
- Some experience in health care management will be considered favorably.
- Demonstrable ethical behavior, professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities sufficient to effectively lead and develop staff and students.
- Knowledge or experience of an educational institution in the Middle East will be considered favorably.
If you need further assistance or have any problem with the online application, please do not hesitate to contact the recruitment team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Main location: KUK – Khalifa University
Use: Associate Dean
Employee status: Leader
Type of employment: Full time